Monday 18 August 2014

Commissioner Of Police Meet With Lagos Leaders Over Boko Haram Bomb Claims.

One of the victims who spoke on condition of anonymity said the monthly deduction being made on their salaries had not been credited to their accounts since February 2014, a development which had subjected most of them who needed loans and sundry financial assistance to untold hardship.

“It is unfortunate that this has to happen despite that we make such contributions for the rainy day” the source said.

Responding, Abba assured the officers that he was aware of what is going on in the cooperative, saying: “I was, and I still remain the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Police Cooperative Society. So, as chairman, I cannot claim ignorance of what happens there. I must tell you, the system in handling deductions in police cooperatives has been going on for many years; if anybody is complaining or is having problems with crediting his account I think something is really wrong.”

The acting IGP expressed optimism that even if such challenge exists, it is only because the authorities of the society at the headquarters have been struggling to computerise the system, which might have caused delays in remittances, and assured that nobody will tamper with the funds.

“I must tell you, I was worried because up till last week some of us were still perhaps complaining, I think it has even gone beyond complaints. Some said it was fraudulent particularly in the social media and if I tell you I was not worried I will be telling lies because my hands were in it” Abba said

He promised that the computerization will be completed soon as he has directed the project to be given to another contractor, warning that he would not allow anybody take advantage of the force.

“I have since given directives that what we started should be completed and that we should bring in new contractors. I think if we continue to follow them up, we will get there. I think with that computerisation, problems of this nature won’t arise again. There may be delays, but nothing fraudulent” he said.

Similar: Lagos Police Arrest Suspected Murderer Of APC Youth Leader

While advising the officers to ignore speculations said: “we will not be involved in taking what does not belong to us, whatever we do will be in your interest and that of your families. So, I want to urge you to continue to exhibit that spirit of discipline, loyalty to the service; that command structure of obeying the leader. On our own part, we will always take you to where you should be.”

Abba, however, ordered Usman Isa Baba, the Chairman, Board of Directors of the Nigeria Police Force Mortgage Bank to explain if there were other reasons for the delay in payment.

Baba in his response said this year’s budget was a little delayed, but assured that it had since been rectified.

It would be recalled that on July 30, 2014, President Goodluck Jonathan appointed Suleiman Abba as the new Inspector General of Police to replace Mohammed Dahiru Abubakar, whose tenure ends on Thursday, July 31, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment